Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Good food, good people

I've been on the AT for four weeks, and it's going great. I'll be hitting 400 miles today and crossing into Virginia - state number four - in the coming days.

In the past week I've seen my second bear and a couple of deer. The bear was cruising down the mountain side and crossed the trail about 30 feet in front of me. It didn't stop to look at me, just flew by into the woods down the mountain.

I stayed at Uncle Johnny's hostel in Erwin, Tenn., Saturday night. It was a relaxing place by the river. A hiker, Bear, who is from Maine and in a band, rocked some tunes by the campfire on his mandolin while Chef kept the beat with his hand slapping his leg.

I left Johnny's Saturday afternoon after breakfast at Huddle House and lunch at a pizza buffet. I only hiked nine miles and camped at a gap with some other hikers.

I've had some great views from atop several bald summits the past couple of weeks. The weather has been mostly clear so far on my hike - I've hiked in the rain just two or three times so far.

I caught up to David and Stitch - now known as Starky and Hitch - Tuesday night at Mountain Harbour hostel near Roan Mt., Tenn. I had a great breakfast this morning. It included eggs, ham, pancakes, fruit, biscuits and much more. The staff at the hostel gets up at 5 a.m. to prepare the meal.

Getting a late start on the trail today, but the sun is shining and I'm feeling great.

- Hova

No comments:

Post a Comment