Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Into the hills

total miles through April 29: 21

I was the first one to break camp at hawk mountain shelter Tuesday morning around 8. I didn't feel like doing breakfast.

Went about a mile when it started to rain. Stopped to put on my rain gear and pack cover. While putting on my gear, Daniel, from Sweden, and Tobias, from Germany, caught up with me.

Tobias, 25, just finished his masters in electrical engineering, and Daniel, 20, was working at a hospital.

They didn't know each other before the hike, but flew on the same flight from Frankfurt To Atlanta and stayed at the same hostel before setting out.

I hiked alone most of the morning, with David and Tobias catching me when I'd stop for a rest.

Around lunchtime, another David and his dog, Stitch, caught me. They were also at the shelter the night before. I'd soon learn how quickly the pair move on the trail.

We stopped at Gooch Shelter for lunch. Some hikers who'd stayed there the previous night were still there. They said, "We're going as far as we can."

I took off, but David stayed behind, concerned about a possible limp Stitch had.

I made it to Woody Gap at about 5:30 p.m. It's a highway crossing with picnic tables and a bathroom. Sat down to check the weather since I had a cell signal. After a few minutes Daniel and Tobias showed up, and we walked a little ways before picking a campsite just off the trail.

In anticipation of bad weather, we started to set up our tents. After just a few minutes, David and Stitch came strolling up. Stitch seemed to be fine. We were later joined by a married couple from Michigan.

Tents up and dinner ready, David hiked a little ways up the trail to check a view from a popular lookout point, Preachers Rock. He came back and said it was awesome, so we all went up to see. It was a spectacular view.

Back at camp, we made a fire and sat around for a while before heading to bed. The rain eventually arrived, but it wasn't bad and I slept through it.

view from preachers rock



S
Stitch

No comments:

Post a Comment